GENEVA, Switzerland (Kashmir English): The World Health Organization (WHO) has expressed serious concerns over the possible repeat of an epidemic of the mosquito-borne chikungunya virus that swept the world two decades ago.
The Organization issued an urgent call for action on Tuesday to prevent a repeat of the epidemic, as new outbreaks linked to the Indian Ocean region spread to Europe and other continents.
An estimated population of 5.6 billion lives in areas across 119 countries at risk from the virus, according to the Organization.
The disease can cause high fever, joint pain and long-term disability, said Diana Rojas Alvarez, a medical officer at the WHO, in Geneva.
“We are seeing history repeating itself,” she said, drawing parallels to the 2004-2005 epidemic, which affected nearly half a million people, primarily in small island territories, before spreading around the globe.
According to the reports, the current surge began in early this year, with major outbreaks in the same Indian Ocean islands which were previously hit, including La Reunion, Mauritius and Mayotte.
An estimated one-third of La Reunion’s population has already been infected, Alvarez further said.
Virus has shown epidemic transmission
The virus is now spreading to countries such as Somalia, Madagascar, and Kenya and has shown epidemic transmission in Southeast Asia, including India.
Of particular concern is the rising number of imported cases and recent local transmission within Europe.
According to Rojas Alvarez, there have been approximately 800 imported chikungunya cases in continental France since May 1.
There is no specific treatment for Chikungunya, which spreads primarily by Aedes mosquito species, including the “tiger mosquito”. The “tiger mosquito” also transmits dengue, and Zika, and can cause rapid and large outbreaks. The mosquitoes usually bite in the daytime and insect repellent and long-sleeved clothing can help prevent it.